At UnityPoint Health - Marshalltown, our goal is to make your hospital stay as safe and pleasant as possible. To meet this goal we have developed a fall prevention program that includes identification of patients at risk for falls and steps to prevent falls.
Patients that have certain illnesses, physical limitations, weaknesses or other medical conditions that increase the risk of falls will be identified. This alerts the staff involved in your care throughout the hospital that you are at risk to fall.
- We need your help to safeguard you and your family member against falls. Please follow these guidelines while you are in the hospital.
- Ask the nurse or physical therapist if you can be out of bed up to the bathroom alone and follow their instructions.
- Ask for help before getting out of bed if you feel dizzy, weak or if you need help managing your IV poles or other equipment.
- Tell the doctor or nursing staff if you have a history of falls.
- Wear non-skid slippers when getting out of bed, if you do not have any, ask the nursing staff to get a pair for you.
- Keep your bedside free of clutter and items on the floor.
- Use the call light in the bathroom if you need assistance getting back to bed.
- Notify nursing staff if a spill occurs on the floor.
- Ask to have objects such as bedside tables, phone and call lights within easy reach if you are not able to be up.
- If you require glasses or wear hearing aides, please use them.
We are here to help you in all aspects of your care, including your personal care needs. Please call us if you need help with anything.
Our staff is committed to making the patient care environment safe and as pleasant as possible for our patients. Be sure to ask the staff questions if you have them. Asking questions and speaking up makes patient care safer for everyone.